off-season lounge: julianna0263


julianna0263, montage creator  --

Can you tell me about the process of making montages, the story you're trying to tell, how you pick music and clips, etc.?

First of all, when at the beginning of my montages, it's all about the song. A good song in my opinion makes a good video. Sometimes when I listen to the music on the radio or on the TV, there's always a song that inspires me to do a video montage. I'm like that song will be wonderful with that video, or that scene. Sometimes it's the lyrics that inspires me. But above all, it's the beat. I like to fit the beat with parts of a video, like in my montage 'So Close' featuring Tessa Virtue and Scott Moir, I cut a scene in many parts and I mixed it with another. I love to do that and I'm really happy with the effect that it gives to my videos, especially in 'So Close,' because it fits the beat of the song. My song choices must have musical beat, rhythm -- the kind of song that makes you want to get up and dance. I can do cute stuff too, but I like to do something different.


so close

The other important part is the theme, atmosphere of the video. It can be about love, friendship, drama and passion. I mostly do videos about figure skating and surfing. They are both interesting sports in their own ways. Most of my figure skating montages are about the Canadian ice dance team Tessa Virtue and Scott Moir. Since the Olympics I've been curious about them. Their 'Mahler' program was extremely beautiful; these two share something wonderful and I'm envious of that. I've also tried to do ice dance montage about other teams, but it's not the same. 


I love close ups. I love to make a sequence of many performance of the same dance and make the parts fit, like one second she has that beautiful blue dress and the other she has the pink one, like in my 'Chasing the Sun' or 'Pop Pop Pop' montage. My montages are usually very short, minimum 30 seconds and 60 seconds and my maximum two to three minutes. I like to keep it short, to make something fast and enjoyable.

chasing the sun
 

The effects, they give the pop to the video. They give an ambiance, like if it's dark, it's a little more dramatic than a colorful video. In my 'Chasing the Sun' montage, what I did is that the video is in black and white but I've added a colored overlay for the effect. I like to keep it simple. 


source: original interview

No comments: